|Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* A minimum of 2 years of experience in user research, user experience design, content strategy and/or digital design is required for appointment and a minimum of 7 years of experience is required for appointment to the Senior level.
* Demonstrable experience clearly explaining design ideas and concepts and negotiating important design decisions.
* Experience creating UX deliverables (e.g., information architecture, wireframes, prototypes, personas, use cases, functional specifications, project documentation).
* Prior experience running and interpreting results from a wide range of user research methods (e.g., interviews, observation, usability testing, card sorts, surveys, focus groups).
* Ability to translate complex requirements into simple, intuitive experiences; solid understanding of how content, design and technology work together to create an optimal user experience.
* Demonstrable knowledge of and passion for user-centered web design principles and content strategy.
* Competence in juggling multiple projects simultaneously with firm deadlines.
* Background in visual and/or interaction design.
* Experience leading design workshops, sprints or other exercises.
* Familiarity with designing or developing accessible websites and apps (e.g. universal design principles, accessibility coding standards, validation tools, evaluation techniques).
* Experience with collaborative, iterative design and agile development environments.
* Experience working with diverse populations in higher education (students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, donors).
The Communications Department in the Division of Information Technology is looking for a full-time User Experience Designer. The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides information technology services to UW-Madison, all UW campuses, the UW System, and other agencies, employing approximately 800 people and operating with a budget of over $100 million.
The User Experience Designer position is part of a dedicated user experience team. The team works collaboratively on user experience challenges, interface and service design, user research and usability assessments, and content strategy. These projects improve access to instruction, research, and outreach and often serve all of campus (and UW System). The position receives assignments and direction from the User Experience Team Lead, and reports to the Communications Director.