|Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- A minimum of five years of progressive leadership experience in any of the following: communications and marketing, development/advancement, public relations, or strategic planning.
- Experience with event planning and with management of personnel involved in the development of promotional media, publications design, editing, and marketing.
- Strong record as an effective manager; experience in a university setting (preferred).
- Demonstrated experience with print and digital communication campaign development.
- Successful experience in strategic communications and marketing; experience with both print and digital communications, including social media (preferred).
- Experience with university development/advancement (preferred).
The Associate Dean for Communications will lead a new Office of Communications, Advancement, and Engagement in the School of Education (SoE), with functional areas that include External Relations, Academic and Outreach Communications, Research Communications, and Creative Media. This individual will create a diverse collaborative team that will design and implement a comprehensive and integrated communications and marketing strategy focused on advancement, recruitment, and research communications to raise the profile of the school and enhance impact. The Associate Dean will use research-based strategies to lead and manage an office of approximately 15 marketing, communications, and advancement professionals.
The position reports directly to the Dean and works collaboratively with SoE leadership and units (including academic departments, the Wisconsin Center for Education Research, Educational Outreach and Partnerships, MERIT, Educational Academic Services, and the Foundation) to build a strategy of marketing and communications to promote SoE research, faculty, and programs, through large events, targeted publications, and web-based and social media communication strategies. The successful candidate will work successfully in a team environment with individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, and coordinate multiple demands on time and within budget. This position must have the ability to educate, advise, collaborate, and serve numerous constituencies, including faculty, staff, alumni, the media, and the public.