MANAGER OF THE DESIGN AND PROTOTYPING FACILITIES WITHIN WENDT COMMONS
Job no: 234339-AS
Work type: Staff Full or Part Time, Staff-Full Time, Staff-Part Time
Categories: Architecture, Construction, Planning, Engineering
The Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory is a set of design and prototyping facilities and interdisciplinary design programs for the College of Engineering. The lab consists of the following facilities:
- Makerspace (Wendt Commons)
- Kohler Visualization Studio (Wendt Commons)
- Design Studios (Wendt Commons)
- TEAM-Lab machine shop (Engineering Centers Building)
- Phil Meyer Automotive Center (Engineering Centers Building) and other Student Org shop spaces
- Composites Lab (Engineering Centers Building)
- Autonomous Systems and Robotics Laboratory (Engineering Centers Building)
This position would primarily focus on the facilities located in Wendt Commons though would collaborate with other team members to support the mission of the lab. This is an exciting opportunity to teach hands-on skills, strengthen interdisciplinary design and foster a creative learning environment.
List of Duties
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's Degree in industrial design, engineering, art, architecture or related field.
|Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
- 5 years of experience in design and/or design-related instruction.
- Experience with the maintenance and use of digital fabrication equipment (e.g. 3D printers, laser cutters) and a wide variety of materials, e.g., wood, plastic, metals, etc.
- Skill with a variety of machine tools and fabrication techniques, including the ability to maintain and repair the equipment.
- Good communication skills with the ability to work effectively with students, staff and faculty by explaining new and unfamiliar procedures and helping them find solutions to fabrication problems.
- An understanding of current safety procedures including the proper handling of tools, machinery and materials.
- Basic knowledge of microelectronics and programming.
The Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory aims to foster:
- Hands-on Learning: Bridging the gap between theory and application.
- Student Empowerment: Empowering students to design and prototype on their own initiative.
- Peer Learning: Students teaching and learning from other students.
- A Diverse Community: A welcoming community that enables collaborations that are diverse in terms of gender, race and discipline.
- Design Innovation: A hub for designing and prototyping innovative products.
- Open Access to Technology: An expansive library of technology, equipment and tools.
The Manager of the Design and Prototyping Facilities within the Wendt Commons reports to the Director of the Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory.
A197100-COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING/ENGINEERING SHOPS
Full or Part Time: 80% - 100%
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $60,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Instructions to Applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. To apply for this position, you will need to upload a cover letter and resume.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
INSTRUMENT SHOP MANAGER III(P57NL)
||The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) Project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://hr.wisc.edu/title-and-total-compensation-study/.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Applications Open: Central Daylight Time
Applications Close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend