The 4-H Educator is an integral part of the UW-Madison Division of Extension and works alongside the people of Wisconsin to improve lives and communities. Extension serves the people and communities of Wisconsin by addressing local, statewide and national issues, improving lives through research-based education, fostering partnerships and action, and facilitating positive impacts.
This position is a part of the Division of Extension Positive Youth Development Institute, with a focus within the Wisconsin 4-H Extension Program. The Institute supports programs that contribute to the development of children, youth, and emerging adults who are healthy and productive, and who make a positive contribution to their communities.
The 4-H Program Educator leads and manages the full range of the 4-H program including clubs, after school programs, educational experiences, and camps. Program Educators also design, deliver, and evaluate research-based educational programming and services aligned with the position's programmatic focus.
Areas of initial programmatic focus include:
- Facilitating school-based, afterschool, and community-based 4-H programs that foster youth leadership, community service, and hands-on learning.
- Recruiting, developing, and managing volunteers to create year-round learning opportunities for school-aged youth.
- Cultivating collaborative efforts and partnerships with other organizations that expand youth development programming opportunities particularly in Developing Mentorships, Youth Voice and Youth Leadership opportunities.
The ideal candidate is adept at building and maintaining trust-based relationships, engaging stakeholders and applying an equity lens towards transforming lives and communities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
|About the Job:
Outreach Specialist (OE009)
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
- At least two years of relevant field and work experience in programming and/or service delivery related to youth development;
- Ability to communicate effectively using a variety of methods and technology; and
- Ability to effectively work with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and other aspects of human diversity.
- A Master's degree in a field relevant to the programmatic responsibilities of the position;
- At least 2 years experience leading, managing and/or evaluating educational programs;
- Experience recruiting, guiding and/or supervising volunteers and/or staff;
- Ability to apply relevant policies, procedures and regulations including reporting requirements and risk and data management;
- Ability to work cooperatively with other agencies, community-based services, or organizations to address educational needs;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional work environments including demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts;
- Experience managing multiple tasks, timelines, and schedules while maintaining high quality of work
- The primary accountability relationship for this position is the Area Extension Director (Area #7) for supervision, compensation and benefits and performance reviews;
- This position's primary programming focus is Marathon County; however some programming will also be conducted over a broader geographical area;
- Office location and programming coverage is contingent on county funding support and location may be reassigned to align with county and Extension programming priorities;
- Expectation to make arrangements for transportation adequate to meet position responsibilities and essential job functions;
- Work evenings or weekends as needed to meet programming needs.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
Full Time: 100%
This position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
ANNUAL (12 months)
|Instructions to Applicants:
We are eager to learn more about how your experience and passion may align with this position. Please submit a cover letter referring to your related work experience and a resume detailing your educational and professional background. Please keep in mind, applicants need to articulate all required qualifications in their cover letter and/or resume. Applicants who have preferred qualifications should share those too in the cover letter and/or resume. The application reviewers will be relying on written application materials to determine who may advance to preliminary interviews.
We are committed to reducing bias in the recruitment process and utilize a redacted application process, which is the practice of removing personally identifiable information from application materials, before the screening of applicants begins. This may include, but is not limited to, name, gender, age, education, address, dates (such as graduation dates), photos, references, links to personal webpages, supervisor names, and/or citizenship.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )