The IT Manager works within the UW Biotechnology Center (UWBC), a world class provider of biotechnology services for researchers. The UWBC infrastructure includes over 4 PB of data storage and 120 servers in a dedicated data center. The position requires the ability to troubleshoot problems in complex systems, work independently on routine and complex tasks, collaborate with others where appropriate, and plan future service upgrades or transitions that both optimize our investment in technology and better meet the needs of our staff and our customers, who include Principal Investigators across UW- Madison and around the world.
This position primarily supports UWBC administration and core facilities. Main areas of focus include maintenance of UWBC servers and network infrastructure, maintenance of numerous scripts that transfer and back up data, maintenance of the database infrastructure that tracks the location of the data for each customer, maintenance of the web CMS, addressing cybersecurity incidents, and supporting UWBC data center operations.
||Provides and develops operational oversight of information technology (IT) function(s), program(s), or service(s)to support organizational and employee technology needs.
- 40% Develops,plans, and directs staff implementation of information technology
- 20% Evaluates existing strategy and makes recommendations to information technology leadership for program enhancement
- 20% Identifies, proposes, and implements new or revised information technology operational policies and procedures
- 10% Serves as the subject matter expert to unit leadership regarding information technology operations and functions
- 10% Exercises supervisory authority, including hiring, transferring, suspending, promoting, managing conduct and performance, discharging, assigning, rewarding, disciplining, and/or approving hours worked of at least 2.0 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
- Five or more years of experience supporting IT services in a computer and/or technology-intensive area.
- Administrative experience with Windows and Linux systems.
- Windows ASP.Net web development experience.
- SQL database administration experience, MS SQL Server preferred.
- SQL programming language experience, MS Transact-SQL preferred.
- Linux shell scripting experience.
- Experience in supporting network technology and security in a heterogeneous computer network.
- Solutions-oriented approach in analyzing and resolving hardware, software and network problems.
- Interest in exploring and learning new technologies and tools to improve processes and workflows.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple, often-competing requests and initiatives.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of work.
- Experience configuring and administering large scale data storage systems.
- Administrative experience with Windows Active Directory.
- Experience with system monitoring tools.
- Experience with virtualization platforms, e.g., vSphere, XenServer.
- Experience with video streaming systems would be helpful.
- Experience and knowledge in Salesforce, especially Sales Cloud would be helpful.
- This position manages two IT staff members. Management experience would be a plus.
Full Time: 100%
This position will require the majority of work to be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location. Some work may be performed remotely, at an offsite, non-campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $77,100 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
The minimum salary for an IT Manager position is $77,100 annually. Salary will be determined based on qualifications and experience.
|How to Apply:
Begin the online application process by clicking the 'Apply Now' button. Applicants are asked to upload a cover letter outlining your experience as related to the position as well as a current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume. You will be directed to a reference form within the application.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.