The Community Youth Development Coordinator is an integral part of the UW-Madison Division of Extension and works alongside the people of Wisconsin to improve lives and communities. Extension serves the people and communities of Wisconsin by addressing local, statewide and national issues, improving lives through research-based education, fostering partnerships and action, and facilitating positive impacts.
Our educators deliver education where people live and work on farms and in schools and communities. Extension educators also work with civic groups and local governments, write newspaper columns, conduct radio and TV programs, facilitate meetings and build coalitions to solve community problems. This is done through assessment of local, regional and statewide needs in the area of the position's programmatic emphasis and designing, delivering, and evaluating research-based educational programming and services to meet these needs.
This position is a part of the Division of Extension Positive Youth Development Institute. The Extension Institute of Positive Youth Development prepares the youth of today to become the effective, empathetic adults of tomorrow. Our research-based youth enrichment programs like teens in governance build youth and adult capacity and partnerships that help both sides grow. 4-H clubs, camps and afterschool programs give young people the hands-on experiences they need to develop an understanding of themselves and the world.
This dynamic position has an emphasis in the Community Youth Development program, including:
- Supporting the Youth Development team in planning and implementing outreach programs for youth;
- Assisting with coordination of the Youth Governance Program, By Youth for Youth (BYFY) and other community youth development programs; and
- Assisting in the support of 4-H community clubs, committees, volunteers and youth.
The ideal candidate is adept at building and maintaining trust-based relationships, engaging stakeholders and applying an equity lens towards transforming lives and communities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
List of Duties
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Degree and Area of Specialization:
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in the area of programming and service delivery
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field
|Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills that contribute to positive and productive workplace relationships and effective partnerships
- Ability to communicate effectively using a variety of methods and technology
- Ability to effectively work with people from different cultural backgrounds, including those associated with race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and other aspects of human diversity
- Experience managing multiple tasks, timelines, and schedules while maintaining high quality work
- Bi-lingual, especially with proficiency in both English and Spanish or English and Hmong;
- Demonstrated success in developing, delivering, and evaluating educational programs for diverse audiences utilizing a variety of educational techniques, methods, and modes;
- Experience working effectively as a member of a work group or committee;
- Ability to work cooperatively with other agencies, community-based services, or organizations; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional work environments.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
- The primary accountability relationship for this position is the Youth Development Educator in Extension Area 18 for supervision, compensation and benefits and performance reviews
- This position's primary programming focus is in Dane County however some programming may be conducted over a broader geographical area.
- Office location and programming coverage is contingent on county funding support and location may be reassigned to align with county and Extension programming priorities.
- Expectation to make arrangements for transportation adequate to meet position responsibilities and essential job functions
DEPARTMENT: Extension/ Youth, Family and Community Development
OFFICE LOCATION: Dane County Extension 5201 Fen Oak Dr., Madison, WI 53718
A473820-EXTENSION/YFCD/YTH/CYD/COMM YTH DEV
Part Time: 50%
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $39,042 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Instructions to Applicants:
To begin the application process, click the Apply Now button.
You will be asked to provide a cover letter and resume addressing your skills and experience as they relate to the qualifications and duties in this job description.In order to be considered for the position, it is imperative that all required qualificationsoutlined in the position description be addressed in application materials.
As applicants move on to next steps in the process, they will be asked to provide names and contact information (e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address) of at least three references.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )