NUTRIENT & PEST MANAGEMENT REGIONAL OUTREACH SPECIALIST - NORTH CENTRAL WI
Job no: 233261-AS
Work type: Staff-Full Time
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Categories: Agricultural, Animal, Biological and Life Sciences, Extension, Outreach, Public Engagement, Natural Resources, Environmental Sciences, Plant Sciences
The University of Wisconsin's Nutrient and Pest Management (NPM) Program works with farmers, researchers, agricultural professionals, and citizens to provide research-based agricultural nutrient and pest management education on crop production practices that protect water quality while promoting farm profitability and resilient landscapes. The program links farmers and researchers to exchange knowledge on the profitability, practicality, and environmental impact of crop production practices and cropping systems.
North-central Wisconsin is a region of the state with numerous soil and water conservation, nutrient management, and pest management challenges. This education and outreach position will address these issues. Additional resources are needed in this area to assist farmers in adopting improved agricultural management practices.
The UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences is committed to maintaining and growing a culture that embraces diversity, inclusion, and equity, believing that these values are foundational elements of our excellence and fundamental components of a positive and enriching learning and working environment for all students, faculty, and staff.
List of Duties
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Degree and Area of Specialization:
BS in Soil Science, Agronomy, or other closely-related field.
|Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
- Must have at least 2 years of experience related to crop nutrient and/or pest management, 3 years preferred.
- Experience in both formal and non-formal outreach programming.
- Experience conducting applied agricultural research and knowledge of related environmental, economic, social issues.
- Candidate must be capable of working as a team member in an interdisciplinary program.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Familiarity with word processing, presentation, and database software is essential.
- Ability to learn, use, and educate others on the SnapPlus nutrient management planning software program is required.
- A working knowledge of the University of Wisconsin nutrient and pest management guidelines for field crops is expected.
- Knowledge of precision agriculture software is desirable.
- Ability to organize and work productively with indirect supervision in a highly visible public sector environment.
- Candidate should have excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to plan collaboratively, execute independently, and take personal responsibility to help team efforts succeed.
- Ability to travel regionally, and occasionally, work on evenings and weekends is required. Weekly travel to Madison may be required during the first several months of employment.
- Office for this position to be located within the north-central region of Wisconsin. Exact location to be determined.
- Ability to be approved to drive State of Wisconsin vehicles is highly desired. Candidate may need to make individual arrangements for transportation adequate to meet the position responsibilities and essential job functions.
A074360-COL OF AG & LIFE SCIENCES/HORTICULTURE/NPM
Full Time: 100%
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $51,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Instructions to Applicants:
Submit a cover letter, resume/CV and names of three references via Jobs@UW website. For specific questions regarding the qualifications or job duties, contact Scott Sturgul at 608-262-7486 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
SR OUTREACH SPEC(S92BN) or OUTREACH SPECIALIST(S92DN)
||The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) Project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://hr.wisc.edu/title-and-total-compensation-study/.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Applications Open: Central Daylight Time
Applications Close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend