The University of Wisconsin System is transforming the administrative infrastructure within the University system. The overall transformation is a people, process, policy, and technology initiative which will include business process standardization, optimization, and redesign in the areas of finance, human resources, and research administration, and will include implementation of Workday to support the changes. The overall objective of the Administrative Transformation Program (ATP) is to right-size the administrative complexity to advance the missions of education, research, and outreach.
The Project Management Lead will report to the Program Director and be accountable for project management functions that will ensure ATP initiatives remain within scope, on time, and within budget. The successful candidate will be part of the ATP leadership team and will lead project managers dedicated to ATP in all aspects of program management including planning efforts, milestone definition, visibility into and reporting of status, understanding of dependencies, utilization of resources, tracking risks, issues, and decisions, and change control. This role will oversee the design of processes for program governance, and management of scope, cost, schedule, resources, status, change control, issues/risks/decisions, delivery and implementation, and quality. Additionally, this role will help orchestrate delivery management across the program.
The Project Management Lead will ensure that project and program management is consistent, predictable, proactive, and successful across all functional areas (HR, finance, research administration, IT) and capability areas (process transformation, change management, and technology transformation) within ATP.
The Administrative Transformation Program is dedicated to advancing the mission of the University of Wisconsin through a people first approach and is committed to growing a culture that embraces diversity, inclusion, and equity.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience:
Candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of formal project management experience, and a strong track record in large-scale implementations within complex environments. Candidates should have experience in cloud-based ERP implementations, ideally Workday, and/or demonstrated experience in higher education, ideally at R1 institutions and/or within university systems.
Please see required skills and preferred qualifications in the "Additional Information Section."
Anticipated duration of this position is 5-7 years. End date is dependent upon project completion.
Starting salary is negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
1. Previous project management experience implementing large-scale, transformational projects within a complex environment, preferably in a higher education environment, highly preferable in a public, R1-university or university system.
2. Project management expertise demonstrating the knowledge of formal project management tools, processes and techniques, including the ability to apply a structured project management framework that meets the project requirements and supports effective behaviors and interactions to successfully implement multiple, related projects.
3. Experience leading cross-functional teams and building effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders across all levels of the organizational structure.
4. Strong analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative.
5. Demonstrated planning and organizational skills with ability to handle several major projects simultaneously.
6. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate sensitive information effectively, strong conflict management skills, and ability to lead effective decision making.
7. Demonstrated presence with senior leaders and ability to act as a partner and trusted advisor.
8. Credible, articulate, and authoritative with a proven ability to effectively influence at all levels of an organization without authority.
9. Demonstrated experience managing multiple vendors to ensure all teams are moving forward collaboratively towards project success.
10. Demonstrated leadership and mentorship of other project managers.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
1. Previous experience implementing an enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, especially cloud technologies.
2. Previous experience with Workday.
3. Demonstrated success implementing projects successfully at an R1-university or within a university system.
4. Previous experience directly supervising or indirectly leading the work of other project managers either in a matrixed or projectized environment.
|Instructions to Applicants:
To begin the application process, click the "apply now" button. Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your related experiences and background in relation to the `Degree Specialization,' duties, and `Minimum years and Relevant Work Experience' sections, in particular:
- Current PMP Certificate (or ability to obtain in 6 months)
- Years of formal project management experience
- ERP implementation experience
- Higher Ed Experience
- Vendor management experience
- Experience supervising or leading the work of other project managers
Additionally, please summarize in your cover letter the following attributes of projects you've managed in the past: how many people worked on the Project Team, what was the budget, and what was the schedule?