The mission of the American Family Insurance Data Science Institute (DSI) is to perform cutting-edge research in the fundamentals of data science and to catalyze the translation of this research into practice to advance scientific discovery in collaboration with researchers across campus and beyond. The institute and the School of Computer, Data and Information Sciences (CDIS), as well as other campus partners, will engage synergistically in ways that amplify impact through data science thought leadership, innovation, talent development and knowledge/technology transfer.
By joining our team you will participate and contribute to the dynamic work environment offered by the DSI. The ideal candidate will:
- Collaborate with researchers around the university affiliated with the DSI as well as external collaborators to support research goals
- Contribute to the overall architecture design of web applications
- Design and implement new features and fix bugs for our platforms and web applications
- Maintain scalability, code integrity, and usability of applications
- Participate in activities that advance the mission of the DSI.
- Work concurrently on multiple projects for a variety of collaborators or customers
- Be an excellent communicator with remote teammates
- Translate scientific requirements of collaborators into technical and architectural application requirements
|About the Job:
Software Engineer/Developer III (IT004)
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
Bachelor's Degree in Computer, Computational, Data Science, or Domain Sciences with computer computational / data specialization or equivalent experience.
3+ years experience in software development. Experience in a research environment is preferred.
- Back-end service programming in Python
- Experience with Database Management Systems (DBMS)
- Knowledge of HTTP and related standards such as REST
- Ability to build secure web applications that protect against common attack vectors
- Experience with quality software process tools and methodologies, such as Git, continuous integration, and automated testing
- Experience designing and building software solutions from the ground up based on business requirements
- Must have demonstrated strong communication skills
- Must be willing to collaborate proactively with remote team members
- Experience working as part of a software development team
- Experience using DevOps tools and environments such as Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS
- Experience deploying software and/or managing jobs in High Performance Computing (HPC) environments
- Experience using and extending Continuous Integration (CI) tools such as GitLab CI
UW-Madison continues to follow necessary health and safety protocols to protect our campus from COVID-19. All employees remain subject to the COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-5086. Please visit https://covidresponse.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date information.
Please note that a successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States without need of employer sponsorship, on or before the effective date of the appointment. University sponsorship is not available for this position at time of hire or in the future.
A348100-VCRGE/DATA SCIENCE INSTITUTE
Full Time: 100%
This position requires some work to be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location. Some work may be performed remotely, at an offsite, non-campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $85,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|How to Apply:
To be considered, applications must be submitted online. Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. You will be required to upload a cover letter and resume.
Cover letters will be used as a writing sample and to determine the best-qualified applicants. Your cover letter should address your qualifications as they pertain to this position, and your education and/or experience as applicable.
Salary will be determined based on skills and experience.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )