The Program Coordinator of the APIDA Student Center is an integral member of the Multicultural Student Center (MSC) staff and is primarily responsible for overseeing programmatic initiatives that support Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) student communities. The Program Coordinator serves as an advocate and resource for APIDA students and student organizations and develops and assesses culturally relevant programs that build community for APIDA students and allies. The Program Coordinator establishes and maintains strong collaborative relationships across campus units to serve students of color, specifically but not limited to APIDA communities. Additional duties include positive contributions to the staff of the Multicultural Student Center and Division of Student Affairs and coaching and mentoring of student staff. This position reports to the MSC's Assistant Director for Cultural Centers.
||Advises multicultural student organizations and student leadership and affiliates, develops and executes programming, and serves on institutional committees to support multicultural students and their allies.
- 20% Provides consultation, resources, and referrals concerning multicultural affairs to various audiences
- 20% Assists organizations in developing and implementing sustainable leadership practices; and navigating established policies, procedures, and resource management strategies
- 30% Schedules logistics and secures resources for academic, cultural and social programs and events that contribute to the recruitment and retention of multicultural students and the enrichment of the institutional community
- 10% Serves as liaison to various committees regarding initiatives and best practices
- 10% Direct supervision over daily operations of the APIDA Student Center
- 10% Responsible for hiring, supervision, and evaluation of undergraduate student staff of the APIDASC
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
from an accredited college or university is required at the start of the position. Preferred degree areas: higher education / student affairs, social justice education, Asian American Studies, or closely related areas.
Preferred degree areas: higher education / student affairs, social justice education, Asian American Studies, or closely related areas.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Two years of relevant full-time professional experience. (Note: One year of graduate experience = 1/2 year of professional experience). Acceptable professional experience areas: multicultural student services and programming, student activities and leadership, student organization development, residential life, multicultural community development, and education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice
- Theoretical and practical understanding of student development, racial identity development, intersectionality, and complexity of social identities
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of identities, specifically, but not limited to, APIDA populations.
- Proven record of strong program planning, coordination, and organization skills
- Strong communication skills (written, oral, and electronic)
- Ability to foster collaborative networks and partnerships to benefit students
- Ability to facilitate identity-based dialogue groups, programs, and workshops
- Capacity to make difficult decisions quickly and flexibility to handle multiple tasks
UW-Madison continues to follow necessary health and safety protocols to protect our campus from COVID-19. All employees remain subject to the COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-5086. Please visit https://covidresponse.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date information.
Full Time: 100%
This position may require some work to be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location. Some work may be performed remotely, at an offsite, non-campus work location upon supervisor and department/Student Affairs division approval.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $48,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
The starting salary for this position is $48,000. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications. Employees in this position can expect to receive benefits such as generous vacation, holidays, and paid time off; competitive insurances and savings accounts; retirement benefits.
The Multicultural Student Center (https://msc.wisc.edu/) is part of Student Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, led by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Our staff is dedicated to serving students and to helping them succeed in and out of the classroom in areas including health and well-being, identity and inclusion, leadership and engagement, and student advocacy. Student Affairs include departments led by the dean of students; departments that provide identity-based spaces and leadership resources; the Wisconsin Union; University Health Services; and University Recreation and Wellbeing.
|How to Apply:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. As part of the application process, you will be required to upload a current resume, a cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications, and a list with the contact information of at least three professional references.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )