This position is primarily responsible for the design and administration of Windows server infrastructure. They will work closely with a small team to develop creative solutions to technical problems facilitating research and instruction at UW-Madison's Social Science Computing Cooperative (SSCC). A successful candidate should be detail oriented and like to try new things--they consider failure to be part of the process. Additionally, they should have great oral and written communication skills, and a commitment to customer service.
The principal duties for this position are as follows:
System Administration (85%):
* Configure, patch, and maintain physical and virtual servers based on configuration management and change management best practices
* Create and maintain basic system scripts (PowerShell, Python, Ruby, etc.) to facilitate automation and scalability
* With support of other team members, administer Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP)
* Oversee and make recommendations for backup and replication services (Commvault)
* Co-administer configuration management system (Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager) for imaging and deployment on servers and endpoints
* Using a ticketing system, provide tier-two support to SSCC members who encounter problems in areas of responsibility
* Develop and follow plan for equipment lifecycle
Additional Duties (15%):
* Collaborate with team to develop creative solutions to problems and be proactive in suggesting solutions that will facilitate teaching, learning, and research
* Create and maintain documentation
* Participate in professional development opportunities
* Other duties as assigned
||System Engineer II (IT038)
System Engineer III (IT039)
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
o Two years system administration experience in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory domain environment.
o Proficient oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
o Familiarity with endpoint imaging and management technologies
o Experience with PowerShell or other scripting language
UW-Madison continues to follow necessary health and safety protocols to protect our campus from COVID-19. All employees remain subject to the COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-5086. Please visit https://covidresponse.wisc.edu for the most up-to-date information.
Full Time: 100%
This position may require some work to be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location. Some work may be performed remotely, at an offsite, non-campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $65,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications. Employees in this position can expect to receive benefits such as generous vacation, holidays, and paid time off; competitive insurances and saving accounts; retirement benefits.
|How to Apply:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process.
Title will be determined upon hire.
For questions on the position, contact: Mary Lynn Dombrowski, email@example.com, (608) 262-2182.
To apply for this position you will need to upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for at least three professional references, including your current supervisor. References will not be contacted without advance notice.
Cover letters will be used as a writing sample and to determine the best-qualified applicants. Thus your cover letter should address your qualifications as they pertain to the minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience listed above.
Mary Lynn Dombrowski
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.