This position works primarily in Memorial Library, with some aspects providing support across the General Library System (GLS) Libraries. The position serves as Building Manager for Memorial Library, and provides support to the GLS executive group. Memorial Library, a 350,000 square foot facility, is the largest library in the State of Wisconsin. Memorial Library facilities, collections, and other resources, primarily serve as the humanities and social science research library for the University. Staff offers myriad services and programs that can be accessed at multiple service points within the building and also online. The facility also houses a computer lab and several instruction and meeting rooms, as well as study halls and group study rooms.
This position reports to the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Public Services, and works closely with Memorial Public Services Staff. In the performance of duties, the position also interacts with various groups and agencies across campus and in the State, including the UW Division of Facilities Planning and Management, the Wisconsin Division of State Facilities, and the City of Madison, as well as outside contractors and vendors. This position also works with the GLS business office on budget matters pertaining to current and planned building projects. In addition, the position interacts with faculty, students, staff, and other users on building and space matters. The position serves as a resource for staff and service relocations and space renovation/building projects in Memorial Library, as well as at other GLS locations as needed.
Regarding the security role, the position works closely with and is liaison to UW Police Department on various security aspects of Memorial Library. This position supervises Memorial Library's full-time security officers and student security monitors.
These responsibilities require good collaboration and communication skills, and a breadth of knowledge and skills relevant to facilities management, security, project management, customer service, operations, resource sharing, and space renovations and design.
The Libraries at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are dedicated to the practices of social justice, diversity, equality, and respect among our staff, students, collections, and services. We strive to overcome historical and divisive biases in our society and embrace diverse points of view as assets to the fabric of our community. All positions will be called on to contribute to building this environment.
||Responsible for the security, custodial, grounds, recycling, repairs, maintenance, and utility services of facilities to ensure that they meet the needs of the university and its employees.
- 20% Establishes priorities for scheduled mechanical and electrical services within the area of responsibility, administering preventive maintenance programs for facilities, inspecting facilities to determine repair or replacement needs, and supervising the performance of emergency and routine maintenance on campus facilities within the area of responsibility
- 20% Ensures all protection systems such as fire panels, smoke/heat detectors, sprinkler systems, and pumps are maintained in accordance with the regulatory requirements and industry standards and ensures all emergency generators/power systems, rigging systems, and elevators are properly maintained in accordance with industry standards and are operational at all times
- 15% Works with procurement services and planning, design and construction as appropriate in developing bid specifications and contract documents for contract work to be performed, obtaining, reviewing, and analyzing estimates from reputable vendors, and preparing the bid tabulation sheets and associated paperwork to support the request
- 15% Ensures that the work performance of employees in the area of responsibility and maintenance zones or sections as a whole meet university standards and expectations
- 10% Coordinates and sometimes directly supervises the performance of emergency and routine maintenance on campus facilities
- 5% Consults on facilities renovation projects
- 15% Coordinates security services for the GLS Libraries
- Provides facilities management to Memorial Library. Coordinates with FP&M and other entities to maintain the building, monitor facility work, and address issues and concerns. Assists with coordinating facilities management in other GLS buildings.
- Manages safety expectations for Memorial Library, updating and maintaining emergency plans, serving as the emergency contact for building-related emergencies, and coordinating annual fire drills.
- Acts as the main liaison for campus health and safety units.
- Coordinates and consults on large-scale building projects, working with campus, city and state agencies to complete projects on time.
- Manages security and mail services in Memorial Library. Supervises full time security officers, student security employees, and mail clerk. Maintains documentation and follows-up on incidents.
- Coordinates card and key access to Memorial Library.
- Coordinates reservations and access for special events in Memorial Library such as polling places and blood drives.
- Consults with AUL for Public Services on projects, concerns and facility requests as needed.
- Responds to staff and public concerns on building matters and communicates plans and progress for large projects.
- Serves as backup for Stacks management at Memorial Library.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
-Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken form
-Demonstrated ability to manage multifaceted projects
-Ability to lift 50 pounds
-General familiarity with building systems operations. Examples may include HVAC, refrigeration, steam and chilled water distribution, electrical, plumbing, building materials, security systems, and other similar systems
-Ability to create/manage documentation effectively
-Knowledge of computer systems and spreadsheets
-Ability to represent the Libraries and the University in negotiation with vendors and service contractors and other agencies
-Previous experience as a facility manager or related/similar work
-Experience with security
Full Time: 100%
The incumbent will primarily work onsite as the position requires them to attend to physical facilities in Memorial library including functioning status of amenities such as elevators, physical access to building, overall maintenance of building, all of which require a physical presence. Limited remote work may occur when the incumbent may be participating in remote/online training, workshops, and conferences.
Nights/weekends required, regular office hours, second shift, etc.
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $65,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|How to Apply:
A cover letter and resume are required. Contact Melissa Ortiz (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. All applications must be submitted through the Jobs at UW applicant system. Click on 'Apply Now' to submit your materials.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.