This position will gain valuable experience in facility scheduling & contracts, event management, and supervising student staff. They will directly supervise up to 25 student staff and two student lead positions. They will work in collaboration with two Coordinators of Scheduling & Events to maintain facility schedules, execute high-quality events and reservations, and provide exceptional customer service for all facility rentals.
||Arranges logistics, provides broad administrative oversight, and implements programmatic changes for one or more recreational programs to efficiently provide a broad range of recreational services to the institutional community. Develops marketing and communication materials for promotion to students, staff, and customers; and assists with recreational program staff recruitment and development.
- 35% Coordinates logistics for events and programs
- 10% Develops targeted communication plans and materials based on established goals
- 10% Identifies, proposes, and implements new or revised operational policies and procedures
- 30% Assists in implementing the staffing resource allocation plan including hiring, training, and supervision
- 5% Prepares and monitors budgets and purchases expenditures as needed
- 10% Engages in the Rec Well professional internship development curriculum, all staff meetings, divisional committees, and other professional development responsibilities and opportunities.
- Serve as point of contact for scheduling internal Rec Well programs for the Club & Community Programs and Wellbeing departments. Inputting programs into campus recreation management software, Event Management Software (EMS) and Fusion.
- Collaborate directly with coordinators regarding internal Rec Well programming.
- Communicate with Registered Student Organizations and university departments to confirm their events and reservations within Rec Well facilities.
- Hire, train, schedule, manage, and evaluate event staff student employees.
- Communicate with Intramural Sports, Athletic Training, and Club & Community Programs to help maintain inventory of and track all event equipment.
- Monitor resource guide weekly and prepare necessary profiles for upcoming reservations & events.
- Send out event schedule weekly to update Rec Well professional staff on what events are coming over the next two weeks.
- Send out event staff profiles for all events covered by event staff weekly.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
Achieve or advancing towards Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field.
Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75
- Demonstrate communication, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to think creatively and critically to identify and solve problems.
- Customer Service Experience.
- Adult & Pediatric First Aid, CPR, AED certification or ability to attain it within the first 30 days of start date.
It is anticipated this position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
This position has the possibility to be extended based on need and/or funding.
- Academic year internship is limited-term employment lasting 9 months or 1,040 total hours
- Internship employment dates are approximate and will run mid-August 2023 through May 2024
- Intern will be compensated at a rate of $21.50/hour for an average of 30 hours/week
- Intern will be allotted time off for university breaks (approximately four weeks unpaid)
- Housing, benefits, and health insurance not included
University Recreation & Wellbeing:
Rec Well is part of Student Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, led by the vice chancellor for student affairs. Our staff is dedicated to serving students and to helping them succeed in and out of the classroom in areas including health and well-being, identity and inclusion, leadership and engagement, and student advocacy. Student Affairs includes departments led by the dean of students; departments that provide identity-based spaces and leadership resources; the Wisconsin Union; University Health Services; and University Recreation and Wellbeing.
About the University of Wisconsin-Madison:
Since its founding in 1848, the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus has been a catalyst for the extraordinary. As a public land-grant university and prolific research institution, our students, staff, and faculty members partake in a world-class education and solve real-world problems. With the Wisconsin Idea as our guiding principle, we're not only changing the 936 acres we call home-Badgers are also creating a better future for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world.
About the City of Madison:
With a population of 255,000, Madison, WI has small town feels and big city amenities. Known for its natural beauty, recreational opportunities, and thriving social scene, Madison boasts impressive numbers. Nestled on an isthmus between 15,000 acres of lakes and an extensive network of 270+ parks and 200+ miles of biking trails. Madison is one of only five platinum-level bike cities, home to 370 restaurants, shops, and exceptional art institutions. The city is consistently recognized as a great place to live:
#1 Top 100 Best Places to Live - Livability.com, 2022
#1 Cities with the Best Work-Life Balance - smartasset.com, 2020
#1 Best Hospitals in Wisconsin - U.S. News & World Report, 2020
#2 Best Cities for Bikes - peopleforbikes.org, June 2020
#2 Happiest Cities in America - menshealth.com, December 2020
#2 Best Cities for Millennials - rent.com, September 2020
#2 Best Places for Outdoor Enthusiasts to Live and Work - smartasset.com, October 2020
#4 Fittest City in the U.S. - ACSM American Fitness Index, 2020
#4 Best Places to Live for Quality of Life - US News, 2021
|How to Apply:
Please click the "Apply Now" button to begin the application process. As part of the application process, you will be required to upload a current resume and a cover letter addressing your work-related experience and qualifications related to this position.
Position will remain open until filled. Priority deadline for review is March 1, 2023.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.