The Waisman Center is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about human development, developmental disabilities, and neurodegenerative diseases throughout the lifespan. One of 15 centers of its kind in the United States, the Waisman Center encompasses laboratories for biomedical and behavioral research, clinics, a preschool, a brain imaging center, and a clinical biomanufacturing facility for the production of pharmaceuticals for early stage human clinical trials. In addition to its research efforts, the Center provides an array of services to people with developmental disabilities, offers numerous educational and outreach programs to young children and their families, and trains scientists and clinicians who will serve our nation in the future.
This position will work within the Waisman Biomanufacturing (WB) work unit. WB is a clinical manufacturing facility that produces biologics (gene therapeutics, cell therapeutics, recombinant proteins and vaccines) for Phase I and II Human Clinical Trials in compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) guidelines.
This position will be responsible for roles related to facility maintenance and performing installation, validation, calibration and preventative maintenance activities of equipment used in the facility. This individual will provide technical expertise, including training of staff, researchers and students in the use of specific equipment used in on-going and new manufacturing operations. This position will also research new equipment, develop manufacturing processes and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for manufacturing operations.
||Provides technical expertise in a research, development, or scientific program. Develops, modifies, adapts, and may design equipment to create unique systems in support of research, development, or instruction, involving, but not limited to, the disciplines of electronics, mechanical/thermal systems, optics, and/or computers.
- 10% Provides technical expertise to staff, researchers, clients, and students in the installation and use of equipment and instruments, exercising discretion and independent judgment to meet unit goals
- 10% Develops, integrates, tests, modifies, and may design sophisticated scientific equipment to support research/clinical initiatives and unit directives
- 20% Designs, plans, and performs preventative and reactive maintenance on equipment to ensure optimal and safe operation
- 5% Answers questions and provides technical information regarding instrumentation to staff, researchers, clients, and students
- 5% Investigates new research processes and technology solutions in collaboration with research/clinical staff, students, and clients
- 10% Supports troubleshooting efforts to define and resolve problems
- 10% Assembles data and/or provides input for reports of design status and/or technical research for professional organizations, government/sponsors review boards, and/or design reviews
- 10% Leads the operations and/or management of a facility
- 5% Supports project planning and coordination
- 5% Facilitates the billing process
- 10% Maintains and responds to Waisman Biomanufacturing (WB) facility alarm system.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
A degree in Engineering, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or a related scientific field is preferred.
Two years of experience working with calibration, validation, and/or repair of equipment in a biotech laboratory, translational laboratory, pilot plant manufacturing, or process development laboratory is required. Internships and graduate research experience will be considered in lieu of biotech industry experience.
Ability to oversee the movement and distribution of equipment; to assemble and lift equipment and parts in a safe manner; and to work in a clean room environment is required.
Well-qualified candidates will have the following preferred experience:
- Experience with one or more of the following: Scientific equipment maintenance with GMP autoclaves, pure steam generators, laboratory equipment, RO/DI water systems, fermentation process equipment, facility automation controls, centrifuges or incubators.
- Familiarity with current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and application to the manufacture of pharmaceuticals or biologics is desirable.
- Experience with research laboratory or production work in any areas such as chromatography, electrophoresis, cell culture, particle counting or fermentation.
- Experience with specialized HVAC equipment, GMP, electronic and mechanical control systems operation used in controlled research/manufacturing environments.
Full Time: 100%
It is anticipated this position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $58,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
This position requires the ability to move liquid nitrogen tanks (~700 lbs) per facility guidelines.
This position requires the ability to maintain and respond to the alarm management system which may involve after hours or weekend availability.
A Criminal Background Check will be performed.
Must complete HIPAA training and receive certification within the first 5 days of employment and annually thereafter within 5 days of notification.
Reporting requirements must be completed in a timely manner, including but not limited to effort reporting and outside activities reporting.
|How to Apply:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the application process. You will be asked to upload a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references including contact information.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.